Iran investigating poisoning of 650 schoolgirls with toxic gas

At least 650 girls have been poisoned by toxic gas in Iran since November, in what many believe is a deliberate attempt to force their schools to shut.

No girls have died, but dozens have suffered respiratory problems, nausea, dizziness and fatigue.

“It became evident that some people wanted all schools, especially girls’ schools, to be closed down,” the deputy health minister said on Sunday.

READ ALSO – Rev. Anthony Kwadwo Boakye Of Resurrection Power New Generation Church Is Dead

However, he later said that his remarks had been misunderstood.

The prosecutor general announced last week that he was opening a criminal investigation, but he said that the available information only indicated “the possibility of criminal and premeditated acts”.

Meanwhile, public frustration is continuing to grow.

The first poisoning took place on 30 November, when 18 students from the Nour Technical School in the religious city of Qom were taken to hospital.

Since then, more than 10 girls’ schools have been targeted in the surrounding province.

At least 194 girls are reported to have been poisoned in the past week at four schools in the city of Borujerd, in the western province of Lorestan.

The poisoned girls have reported the smell of tangerine or rotten fish before falling ill.

ADVERTISEMENT – Contact SaturdayShine Ventures on +233248908838

Earlier this month, at least 100 people protested outside the governor’s office in Qom.

“You are obliged to ensure my children’s safety! I have two daughters,” one father shouted in a video widely shared on social media. “Two daughters… and all I can do is not let them go to school.”

“This is a war!” declared a woman. “They are doing this in a girls’ high school in Qom to force us to sit at home. They want girls to stay at home.”

Some parents have said their children were ill for weeks after the poisoning.

Another video from a hospital shows a teenage girl lying dazed on a bed, with her mother beside her.

“Dear mothers, I’m a mother and my child is in a hospital bed and her limbs are weak,” says the distraught mother. “I pinch her but she doesn’t feel anything. Please don’t send your children to school.”

At a news conference on Sunday, Deputy Health Minister Younes Panahi said the girls had been poisoned by chemicals that “are not military grade and are publicly available”.

“The pupils do not need any invasive treatment and it’s necessary to maintain calm,” he added.

Dr Panahi’s comment that it was “evident that some people wanted all schools… to be closed down” appeared to confirm the government believed the poisonings were premeditated.

His subsequent denial suggested splits among officials over how to handle public anger when no suspects have been identified.

The poisonings have notably been concentrated in Qom, a city that is home to important Shia Muslim shrines and the religious leadership that forms the backbone of the Islamic Republic.

Since September, the clerical establishment has been challenged by the mass protests that erupted after the death in custody of a young Kurdish woman, Mahsa Amini, who was detained by morality police for allegedly failing to wear her headscarf “properly”.

Some Iranians have speculated that if the schoolgirls are being poisoned as “payback” for their role in the unrest. Social media was flooded with videos showing schoolgirls ripping off their headscarves and chanting anti-establishment slogans.

  • BBC

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *